Cadbury Castle Hillfort, Somerset
Cadbury Castle hillfort is one of three hillforts named Cadbury – the others are Cadbury Hill, and Cadbury Camp.
The site is a classic contour hillfort with 4 ramparts on the NW and S sides. Only 2 survive on the E, the others may have slipped down slope. Entrances at the SW, NE and E, the latter either later or un- finished. The interior is dominated by a summit plateau on its W side, with steep slopes down on its W and S. Excavations were undertaken by Bennett in 1890 and Gray in 1913 and a major campaign in 1966-70 when 6% of the 7.28 ha site was sampled (PRN 22948). An extended Iron Age occupation sequence was revealed in 1966-70.
An undefended initial IA phase (Cadbury 5) was succeeded by Cadbury 6, enclosed by a timber-laced clay and rubble rampart (A). Rampart B, a stone bank revetted with timber and Lias walling, defended Cadbury 7. Rampart C, much less well preserved, is associated with Cadbury 8. Cadbury 9A, marking the appearance of Durotrigian material, overlies rampart C. 9B lies on the tail of rampart D1 and incorporated into D2. The final Iron Age phase, Cadbury 9C, is associated with the final refurbishing of the rampart D3 in c60 AD. This sequence is based on detailed analysis of rampart sections.
OS map reference: ST 628 251. Nearest town/village: South Cadbury.
Data kindly supplied by the Somerset Historic Environment Record.
Record created in November 1995
© Copyright Somerset County Council 2007