Elborough Hill Hillfort, Somerset
Unfortunately there isn’t a lot left of the enclosure at Elborough Hill hillfort. It was a semi-triangular hillfort with an elaborate entrance. The site was chosen to take advantage of the naturally occuring steep slopes which would have acted as a natural defence. The ramparts, when inspected by Professor Tratman in 1935, had ditches up to three feet deep, and banks up to three feet high, around twleve feet wide. When he returned in 1965 he found that the farmer had bulldozed the Western bank into the ditch. There is a prehistoric/Roman field system nearby.
OS map reference: ST 3695 5827. Nearest town/village: Hutton.