Elworthy Barrows Hillfort, Brompton Ralph, Somerset
Elworthy Barrows hillfort is a fine example of an unfinished hillfort in a situation where there is no defence. Enclosed in the 1830s and laid to pasture. Occasional ploughing but no deliberate attempt to destroy the rampart and infill the ditch. Last ploughed c1943 when cores, worked flakes and three leaf-shaped arrowheads were found by A.L Wedlake. Previously thought that the camp was Neolithic but no evidence for this. Causewayed effects on N side result from incomplete construction – there is a wide berm between quarry pits representing the ditch and the upcast of the rampart. E side taken a little further with a continuous weak bank and shallow ditch although the inturned entrance is well developed. S side mutilated by a field bank. W side almost complete with working sections evident. Gap in SW seems original.
Many rabbit burrows on S side of the S inturn on the E side. Cow damage along the S face of the main rampart on the S side especially where this runs close to the field boundary. On the S side of this field bank the ditch and a possible outer bank and ditch were noted. Cow damage also NW of the gap on the SW side on the outer face of the rampart.
Bank prominent but not continuous. Highest (3m) in the W where broad ditch and bank are 10m across. Parts of the bank are uneven and a deep pool lies in the ditch to the NE.
Polished stone axe found in interior.
A ROC satellite post to PRN 44671 was established somewhere here in 1942.
Scheduling revised with new national number on 24 July 2002 (was Somerset 198).
OS map reference: ST 0705 3378. Nearest town/village: Brompton Ralph.
Data kindly supplied by the Somerset Historic Environment Record.
Record created in February 1984
© Copyright Somerset County Council 2007