Nympsfield Long Barrow, Frocester, Gloucestershire
Text by Tim Darvill
Nympsfield long barrow is similar in plan and situation to the nearby Hetty Pegler’s Tump, but smaller and with only one pair of side chambers. The absence of capstones, removed long ago, allows an appreciation of the layout and design of the chambers at Nympsfield even if some of the atmosphere is missing.
The mound is trapezoidal, 27m long and 18m wide at the east end. Reconstructed in 1974, the mound would originally have been much higher at the east end, completely covering the chambers. The forecourt opens to the east, at the back of which is the entrance to a central passage leading to a pair of side chambers and a small end-chamber. Constricting stones sub-divide the passage and restrict access to the chambers. Excavations in 1862, 1937 and 1974 recovered the remains of between 20 and 30 individuals.
SO 7939 0132. 6km south of Stroud. Within Coaley Peak Country Park beside the B4066 between Stroud and Dursley. English Heritage and Gloucestershire County Council. Finds in Gloucester City Museum.
Further reading: Crawford 1925, 119-22 (C42); Clifford 1938a; 1938b; Saville 1979a.