Cotley Castle Hillfort, Wambrook, Chard, Somerset
Cotley Castle hillfort is centred at ST3109 0745 and consists of an oval enclosure formed by a bank and outer ditch. It is evident that both were originally of considerable strength. The situation, just below the highest point of a plateau, is not suited to defence but has a good view. Entrance not seen but it may have been in the S part which has been eroded almost completely by ploughing. The N and W quadrants are similarly being ploughed out leaving only the E section which is used as field boundary. Iron slag and pieces of iron found in the field were identified as waste from the iron works at Chard. It is supplied free to farmers for road surfacing, drainage etc.
Defences form an oval c200m x 150m. S bank appears as a much spread bank c30cm high. On the W and NW the bank is c50 – 75cm high with possible entrance. On E it is 2m high. Small amount of IA pottery found.
Only the E section visible because of crops. The bank under the crop would appear to have been reduced by ploughing since 1983.
Careful examination of RAF 1946 photo in Devon CC suggests that the entrance may have been on the N. Plan drawn from AP.
The iron slag in the field now does not look modern and was certainly not cupola slag. In view of knowledge of the Blackdown iron industry it is likley that this is contemporary with the hillfort.
A sherd of C2/3 New Forest Roman pottery was found at ST31100738.
MONUMENT NO. 191475
OS map reference: ST 3109 0745. Nearest town/village: Chard.
Data kindly supplied by the Somerset Historic Environment Record.
Record created in July 1984
© Copyright Somerset County Council 2007